Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 15:45:53 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Administrative tag a possibility?

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:31:27AM -0400, Jamie Norwood wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 07:43:27AM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> >
> > That seems a little dangerous - perhaps some of the files will have
> > md5 appearing in other lines for other reasons, and that would mess

Read 'CHECKSUM' instead of 'md5' and your statement is correct.

> > up this simple grep.  Perhaps a more complicated tag in the file would
> > be more appropriate.
>
> Not to mention that, AFAIK, once you add the checksum to the file, the
> checksum would be different because the file is no longer the same, ne?
> I am not aware of a way to include a checksum in the file being checked.

Ehm, the original poster did the grep -v thing to avoid this, and I'm
reasonably sure he also envisioned using a better tag than 'CHECKSUM' -
it's the principle that's worth implementing.

Anyway, I also haven't got any patches so I'll shut up now.

--Stijn

--
Tact, n.:
	The unsaid part of what you're thinking.