Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:33:32 -0300
From:      daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Driver

> This is not necessarily the case.  For outbound data,
> the call to enqueue the data (at least) will be made
> by the sending process.  It would not be unreasonable
> for the send to block the process until encryption is
> completed.

> For incoming data, the decryption could be postponed
> until the consumer actually reads from the socket,
> although as soon as you have a socket in mind you have
> access to the proc structure belonging to the socket's
> owner.

I'm not sure. Most packets will be just routed.

> Another alternative would be to create a kernel process
> (like the update daemon) which serviced the
> encryption/decryption queues.  This would give you a
> process context on which you could sleep.

I'll look into that.

> What level are you going to call them from?

Network interruptions. It's just that it feels kind of weird splnetting the
code even though it's not necessarily network related...

> Are you capable of writing queue manipulation code that
> can survive interleaved head and tail operations?

I intended to use the queue macros, like style(9) advised to. And, yes, I
can write that code, but that's still not exactly reentrant, is it? :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral                      (8-DCS)
Daniel_Sobral@voga.com.br