Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:43:22 +0100
From:      "Philippe Lang" <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch>
To:        "Karl Fischer" <kmf@fischer.org.za>, =?iso-8859-1?B?Qmr2cm4gS/ZuaWc=?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Multiple Directories for Jails

owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2007, at 5:04 PM, Bj=F6rn K=F6nig wrote:
>=20
>> Karl Fischer schrieb:
>>> Hi
>>> I'm a n00b to freebsd and jails is there away that I can specify
>>> multiple Directories in the jails.conf ?
>>> JAIL_HOME=3D"/data1; /data2" etc.
>>=20
>> What are you trying to do or what do you expect?
>>=20
>> A file system hierarchy can only have one root directory. You
>> probably want to play with unionfs. You can read about its concept
>> here: http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/unionfs/
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnionFS
>>=20
>> Regards Bj=F6rn
>=20
> Hi
> Basically the Drive that the Jails are hosted on is running out of
> space.=20
> By adding another mounted Partition I will have more space.
>=20
> If I add a new Drive to the Machine ...
> mount it under /data2 can I just stop the jails and copy them across
> modify the jails.conf and start it up ? I guess the best procedure
> should be to back them up and restore them there ?=20
>=20
> Thanks for the help
> Karl

Hi,

Jails don't absolutely need to have the same root. I'm not sure where =
you found your "JAIL_HOME" and "jails.conf" (a script?), but each jail =
needs a "rootdir", which can be a path to whatever you want. You can =
configure this "rootdir" in /etc/rc.conf. Have a look there.

Depending on how much space your actual jails are using, you may =
consider moving all your jails onto a new drive, instead of moving part =
of them. It is maybe easier to manage your system this way, although not =
necessary at all.

Hope this will help you,

Philippe