Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:09:17 -0500
From:      "Larry S. Marso" <lsmarso@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   login.conf settings and netscape

If run netscape as root, I can open 50+ windows and the system stays up and
running.  If I run netscape as a "typical" user, netscape complains that
it's out of memory after I open about 10-15 windows and crashes hard
(everything I've opened is gone).

I assume this relates to the different resources specified for the root
user (typically "unlimited") and other (is it "default" or "standard"???)
users.

What's the right way to proceed?  To give my user a "class" of root in the
chpass command?  Or to alter the "default" or "standard" in login.conf?  Or
to set up a new class?

Also, is login.conf re-read each time an xterm is opened?  Is there any
particular class that an xterm reads?

Best regards
--
Larry S. Marso