Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:49:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://www3.sco.com/Company/Announce/p081996e.htm

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

>  >> From the last time I used SCO...why would anyone want it, when
>  >> there are *better* (IMHO!) Unix variants out like FreeBSD and
>  >> NetBSD that have always been free...?
>  > Well, this is nevertheless an interesting action, and perhaps the
>  > only right thing they can do, now being faced with MicroSnot
>  > everywhere...  (and good-quality free Unix clones).

Hey, I don't care if FreeBSD is better, if SCO is *free* for students, I'd
be happy to try it out.  Right now I use FreeBSD for my "serious"
Internet access and development, but own a copy of Solaris/x86 (academic
discount $120)  because I use Solaris/SPARC at work and sometimes it's
nice to have a "supported" platform for Java development, etc...  SCO may
be a crummy SVR3 but I want to see it myself before I write it off
completely, right?  If nothing else, I'll know to be thankful for
what FreeBSD offers!  :-) Anyway, thanks to whoever pointed out the URL...

---Jake