Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 23:00:47 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, maral@webnet.com.au
Subject:   Re: Probing KBD.

>Is there a way of stopping the kernel from probing the keyboard, as I
>have found, if I dont have a keyboard plugged in, it will probe forever,
>and since the bios is set to keyboard "not present" shouldnt freebsd
>recognise this ?

Not really.  You could leave disable the sc device but then all console
output would go to the serial console (ttyd0) and be lost if no serial
console is attached.

The probe is supposed to time out after 5 seconds, but it has well-known
bugs that somehow haven't been fixed in either 2.1 or -current.  After
timing out after 5 seconds, it executes an endless loop.

The keyboard is only initialized at probe time, so it may not work if
it is plugged in later.

Bruce