Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:36:53 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      Diamler - benz research center india pvt ltd <dbrci@giasbg01.vsnl.net.in>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Problems with FreeBSD installation

Dear Sir/Madam

We are trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.6 from the
Walnut Creek CDROM set(This is the first time EVER that
we are installing any OS).
Naturally,we are having problems.

We have a Pentium 100MHz 16MB RAM 1.0GB hdd.We
have partitioned the hdd into two,one 400MB chunk
for DOS and the other(600 MB) for FreeBSD.

The FreeBSD partition we have further partitioned
(for the system files) thus,using the disk label
editor :
        /       33MB
        swap    44MB
        /usr    339MB
        /var    200MB(approx)

We successfully installed the FreeBSD kernel (or
atleast think so).Then , we tried running sysinstall
to install the other packages(eg. xemacs,xxgdb etc.)
which are on the CD.

The steps we followed to this are :
1.choose post-configure system after FreeBSD installation
2.in the next menu,choose packages.
3.in this menu choose all available packages
4.in this menu,some ( very few) packages(such as zip,unzip,zoo)
are already chosen.We tried choosing all,but the
installation failed(*) for all except ones that were
already chosen.

*The error message asked us to look into a file
called sysinstall.debug.The messages we found there
were something like :

DEBUG : package check on gopher 2.1.3 returns failure

Questions:
1.What do we do?
2.Is there any test for us to know that the kernel is running ok?

Please answer as this is very important to our
further work.

Thanx

Daimler Benz Research Centre India