Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:26:19 -0500
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inherate nodump cause significant slow down of dump

Dima Dorfman wrote:

> James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net> writes:
> > The changes to src/sbin/dump/traverse.c (1.10.2.2) cause significant
> > slow down of the dump estimate phase.  Specifically Phase II.  My /usr
> > partition has about 2.5G of data including ports.  I had just the
> > /usr/ports director flagged as nodump.  I think that this needs to be
> > backed out, or fixed before the 4.3-RELEASE.
>
> I'm not terribly opposed to this, but OTOH I don't see why it's
> necessary.  The slowdown only occurs if you set nodump on a directory.
> With the old behavior, this wouldn't do anything useful (AFAIK), so if
> you have nodump on a directory, you probably expect the new behavior.
> The latter has a problem with taking more time than it should (I think
> it actually takes the same amount of time as dumping everything under
> the nodump'd directory would).  In other words, the only thing that's
> broken is the new feature.

I haven't tested this yet, but should be able to tomorrow.  But I
believe that if I do chflags -R nodump /usr/ports it will not a
significant more amount of time to process, throught Phase II, then with
out the nodump flags under the old version.

I am also guessing the with the new version chflags -R nodump /usr/ports
will be about the same amount of time as with the old code.  I am not
opposed to the feature.  Acutally I was suprised that that is not the
way it worked when I first found the flag.  However, there has to be a
better way to implement it.  BTW it breaks amanda's dump estimates.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .