Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:25:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk (James Raynard)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stupid ftpd question

> > Any recent (since 4.3-Reno) Berkeley FTP client will query the remote
> > host for its system type, and set the transfer mode accordingly.  FTP
> > servers since a similar vintage respond thusly:
> >
> > 215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199506
> >
> > The client is actually looking for `UNIX', which is why it doesn't say
> > `FreeBSD' there.
>
> True, but my point was that you can't rely on clients doing this.

You can rely on *sucky* clients doing this.

The *good* clients will do this for you, even DOS-to-DOS or
VMS-to-VMS because they note that the system type is the same,
and the default transfer mode is supposed to be such that a
text file will be, by default, locally usable.

The translation is done at the server because there isn't a file
attribute "source system type" that is set on transfers -- so
only the server can convert the file into an architecture-neutral
wire format.

A DOS client *could* decide, based on the extention, wheter the
file should be transferred as text or binary, and switch on a file
by file basis: after all, this is how Windows devices on icons and
invocation methods in the absence of .inf files for the icon being
clicked-on/dragged/etc..  Netscape is one example of a "smart client"
for DOS boxes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---