Date:      Sun, 25 May 97 19:53:59 +0100
From:      pgardella <pgardella@geocities.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <hosokawa@jp.freebsd.org>
Subject:   [PAO] PCMCIA Modem ?

I'm still trying to track down my modem problems (it echos a character
back if and only if I type another character).  I wanted to take another
step back to the system itself.

I am running 2.2.1 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro T2155CDS (486/75) with
PAO-970331.  I've got the PAO installed and active.  My modem is an
Actiontec Datalink 14.4 PCMCIA fax/modem (Cirrus Logic).

During the boot process, I get the following messages:

PC Card Intel 82365 (or clones) (5 memory & 2 I/O windows)
pcic    irq3
Card inserted, Slot 1
<snip>
pccard[38] PC Card memory address set to 0xd0000
Card "CIRRUS LOGIC" ("FAX MODEM") has Function ID 2
<snip>
sio2: Warning: irq_pending error.
sio2: type 16550A
PCMCIA Modem inserted

What is the irq_pending error mean?  irq 3 is not being used (sio1 is
disabled).  sio2 is disabled as well (I've tried it enabled as well).

In pccard.conf, I've set the irqs for the pccards as 10,11.  Neither of
those are in use either.

The modem works, and I can talk to it, but the flow of data is not
constant, requiring a character input from me before it sends the next
section of data to the screen.

When you talk to your modem in seyon or iijppp, it's supposed to return
data immediately (type AT<cr> it's supposed to return OK), like it does
in Win95 and MacOS, right?

Patrick
Man in distress ...---...

P.S.  CTS/RTS is enabled, XON/XOFF is off, port speed is set at 19200.