Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:25:48 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual-Athlon vs Dual-PIII ... opinions?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Vidican" <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To: "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 11:54 AM

> Josh Paetzel wrote:

Unix
> > > environment?  I heard somehwere that AMD was great for gamers ... but
what
> > > about "real work"?
> > >

> > I think that you have to stick with the intel solution.  I went down the
> > non-intel road a couple of times and it never turned out to be a good
thing
> > in the end.
> >
> > I recently went in to upgrade my p2-450.  I had a dream of getting an
athlon
> > with that new fancy 133 mghz FSB and ata/66 support and all that fun
stuff.
> > I walked out with a p3-700 on a good old 440bx asus motherboard.  Yes,
the
> > athlons were a little bit cheaper than the p3s, but then the
motherboards
> > were more expensive.  When it came time to plunk down the hard earned
cash I
> > had to go with what I knew....(but then, I'm still running 3.4, too!)
> >
> > Josh
> > "Legacy Man"
> >
> > > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick:
> > Scrappy
> > > Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > > primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary:
> > scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

> Athlons run a 200mhz FSB, NOT A 133mhz FSB - that'd be your Intel PIII's
> bus speed, and only at certain clock frequencies at that.

Athlons run at 200mhz FSB, but their memory is still running at 133, isn't
it?

Not to mention
> the full-speed cache that the Athlon offers.

Are you saying/implying that the P3 coppermines don't have a full-speed
cache?

 I'd bet than an AMD Athlon
> 700mhz CPU running in a similar configuration on an Asus K7M/K7V
> mainboard would out-perform your PIII at 700mhz running on an Asus 440bx
> based board.

Hmmmm, interesting challenge....I accept.  I've got a Gforce2 GTS DDR video
card, 160 megs of PC133 ram, and 7200 rpm IDE disks.  My P3 is in fact a
100mghz FSB model, but I find it runs quite stable at 133mghz, which makes
it a 933.  (To be honest I usually run the bus at 115mghz cause I can't tell
the difference and I am slightly afraid of cooking it.)  Let me know if you
have/can get similar components and we'll run your favorite benchmark
program.