Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 2008 02:02:38 +0200
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yony Yossef <yonyossef.lists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: options WITNESS and locks

Yony Yossef wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to debug a "spinlock held too long" error.
> Therefore I thought compiling my kernel with "options WITNESS" would be a
> good idea.
>
> Using the WITNESS kernel I cannot load my driver with any MTX_SPIN mutex.
> I had to change it all to MTX_DEF since every MTX_SPIN got me this error:
>
> panic: lock (network driver) spin mutex does not match earlier (sleep mutex)
> lock

It means that somewhere you are treating a mutex with that name as a
sleep mutex and in other places as a spin mutex.  WITNESS works on the
lock name so this may or may not be a bug.

However, default mutexes should be used in most cases anyway (bear in
mind that default mutexes will also spin when it makes sense for them to
do so).

> So I changed it all to MTX_DEF, just to see if things will work.
> Now I can load my driver, but calling ifconfig shows a new crash:
>
> mtnic0: Activating port:1
> mtnic0: Ethernet address: 00:00:00:00:08:88
> mtnic0: Activating port:2
> mtnic1: Ethernet address: 00:00:00:00:08:89
> lock order reversal: (sleepable after non-sleepable)
>  1st 0xffffffff81379010 MTNIC state semaphore (MTNIC state semaphore) @
> mtnic_netdev.c:1855
>  2nd 0xffffffff809eee00 ACPI root bus (ACPI root bus) @
> /usr/src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi.c:1022

You are acquiring a lock that is "sleepable" (i.e. legal for consumers
to sleep while holding it), after first acquiring another lock that is
not sleepable.  The danger is that if some code sleeps while holding
both the first and second lock, then other code that tries to acquire
the first lock will deadlock indefinitely.

This is often due to a programming or design error.

Kris