Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:12:20 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, mcgovern@spoon.beta.com
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

 > Doug Barton wrote:
 > >
 > > "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
 > >
 > > > Hmmm.  Odd, I've always noted the opposite.  If you do the novice instal
 > > > (which everyone should if they're trying to test the "typical case"),
 > >
 > >         I've always found the term "novice" to be a little off-putting. Pe
rhaps
 > > "Standard Install" would be a better choice?
 >
 > Novice is ok, it's the other two that are problematic. Well,
 > particularly "custom". "Custom" does not scare away anyone, and is
 > actually actractive to Windows users. It should be called "death trap"
 > or something like that...

I don't know if I agree. "Custom" is exactly what it says... You can build
out the system with specifically the components you want. Now, perhaps I'm out
of the ordinary here, but I _always_ use custom. Of course, of the 100+
machines that run it around here, each can have a very different purpose, so
it makes sense to slice it that way. Also, as far as teaching new users how
to install it, I _always_ show them the custom route. While this may sound
harsh, its used to familarize them with all of sub-components, and
what-does-what. Given that these systems can also run up to 3-4 operating
systems, and the installations are not clear-cut, it makes more sense. As they
become familar with it, they branch off, and use the installation method that
most suits their needs.

Now, I'll admit, that custom may be a bit daunting to people who are new to
Operating Systems. But, even in the Windows enviornment,
"Custom Installations" are usually documented as a route for those who are
clue as to what they're doing, and "Standard" or "Quick" installs are for
the others.

In the end, I don't think you should put a negative vibe on the things that
do exactly what they say they do. If you check my rulebook, rule number
one is "People are stupid". If they're novices, and they stray off the "novice"
path laid out for them, they're gonna get what they get. Part of any learning
process is learning your limits. :)

Anyhow, enough rant. I've just seen enough badmouthing of "custom" over the
years that I want to speak up. It does what it claims to do. Leave it alone.
	-Brian