Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:35:02 -0800
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re changing from vista

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:41:27 +0100 (CET)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> >> improving FreeBSD, there wouldn't be a need to "convert".  "Build
> >> it (and secure/stabilise it) and they will come".
> >
> > Indeed, what IS the value of more users to a volunteer project like
> > FreeBSD?
>
> to some level - better driver support. but
> windows-converters-seeking-for-nicer-windows don't write drivers.
>
> this level is OK, more users can make only harm.
>
> exactly what happened with linux.
>
> as heavyweight "sponsors" did. they pay but request not just adding
> drivers but to add strange-but-trendy features and solutions that
> take system's quality down quickly.
>
> exactly that happened to NetBSD. i recently installed newest NetBSD
> version just to look at it. it was damn slow and even slower under
> high load!!
>
> not mentioning linux that got just billion$ total sposoring from IBM.

Could you point out some of those strange-but-trendy features?  I tried
Ubuntu for a while on my laptop and it more or less Just Works.  It
boots up quickly, detects all my devices, has accelerated 3D etc.
Now I did move back to FreeBSD because I had problems with its
autodetection system - in particular the graphics card wasn't
configured properly. But that's a problem with Ubuntu specifically, and
I could just as easily have switched to Debian or Gentoo where more
manual configuration is required - just like in FreeBSD.   One of the
strengths of Linux is that if you find one of the new trendy features
doesn't work, you can generally just build a new kernel - without
including it. If it's user-space you don't like - well, that's a
problem with the distribution, not linux itself.

--
Bruce Cran