Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:28:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gensetdefs using sh(1),sed(1),grep(1) and awk(1)

I've written the initial perl version of the, then, .m -> .[ch] script
for newbus in perl, because it was available and did the job better
more easily than a combination of various other tools.

The biggest problem you will find is that the Perl script makes an
effort at making the output readable (figuring out the indent used,
whitespace correction if possible, format_line that splits a long line
over multiple lines) and has some reasonable error checking. You won't
be able to do that in a shell script.

I don't think it is impossible to rewrite it, but anyone suggesting that
it should be, should come up with the converted script.

Nick

--
Qube Software, Ltd.                                             Private:
n_hibma@qubesoft.com                              n_hibma@webweaving.org