Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:50:26 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity@gmail.com>, freebsd@voidmain.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What should be in GENERIC? (was Re: Facilitating binary kernel upgrades)

Colin Percival wrote this message on Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:22 -0800:
> In deciding what options should go into the GENERIC kernel, I think the
> question we should be asking is not "how many people use this?", but
> instead "would adding this option inconvenience more people than it would
> help?".

GENERIC is already so large, that if you want/need a smaller kernel,
you're going to rebuild anyways, so the only people it truely
inconviences are the people who just want their system to work w/o
extra work...

>From 5.4-R:
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5896397 May  8  2005 /boot/kernel.GENERIC/kernel*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3508960 Sep  4 15:29 /boot/kernel/kernel*

Since I care about that extra 2megs, I recompiled my own kernel, but
most systems these days a couple megs isn't that big of a deal, and
if you're trying to fit it on a small system, you'll care, and you'll
need to recompile anyways...

If it doesn't conflict, add it. :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579