Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:47:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 on Inspiron 8000

On 21-Jun-2001 Ben Lovett wrote:
>  Hrm... Are you using the miibus if'ied fxp driver?  I am not, due to
>  some of the problems that arose when it was committed..  I would be
>  willing to try again when I next upgrade my system, but as it is working
>  perfectly right now, I do not wish to break anything ;)  You might try
>  the non-miibus driver, although, I do not see how adding miibus calls
>  to the code could cause the system to hang, but then again, I am not a
>  programmer, nor do I have any understanding of what the new driver does.

I am using the non MII fxp code.
I am running 4.3-RC can't remember when exactly I updated (Apr 15?)

> > think) - never to return either.
>  I have not had a chance to try anything USB, but I'll try it when I do
>  ;-)

Ahh.. I have plenty :)

> > The weird thing is that now I get SCB timeouts but the fxp can still ping..
> > weeeird :)
>  That is kinda weird.. Is that from another machine, or the laptop?

From the laptop..
ie pinging a machine over ethernet from the laptop.

> > No  panic, just hangs solid - I don't know if it is possible to get a
> > further
> > diagnostic, but if anyone has a suggestion I am quite willing to try :)
> >
>  I'll take your word on that.. I'm actually just using my trusty 3com 56k
>  pccard, but I did install the lucent shims and they do work perfectly.

Hmm... well they do work for me (I have dialled up etc) but I noticed that the
system would hang when redialling somewhere occassionally (damn dodgy phone
lines).

The ATH1 stuff was just an experiment.

---
are so many of them to choose from."