Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:54:58 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 28,  2:16am, Josef Grosch wrote:
> [...]
> >

> One must also remember that roads and highways ofter intersect the
> "natural" path the deer take between their feeding and sleeping area. I
> used to know of several in both the Twin Cities and Chicago area. You
> could almost set a watch to the deer crossing the highway. Often at sunrise
> and sunset with the predictable results.
>

> > > Lets cure this problem once and for all, lets outlaw headlights.
> > >
> > > "the deer, a relatively small animal"  Hah! You've never seen a typical
> > > Detroit-built American Land Barge totaled by one little deer? One
> > > little deer can easily destroy the bumper, headlights, grill, hood,
> > > fender and windshield. If the roof line gets bent too, the vehicle is
> > > usually totaled.
> >
> > Hah! try running into a moose sometime,  Guaranteed the damage will be
> > greater.
> >  Larger animal = greater damage.  Not too difficult.
>
> Agree. The average male White Tail weighs around 350 lbs. and is around
> 4 foot high at the shoulder. The average male moose, around 1300 lbs.
> and over 6 foot at the shoulder.
>
> I once saw a Nissan pickup hit a moose on US highway 61, which runs between
> Duluth and Thunder Bay. The moose got up and calmly walked into the
> woods. The Nissan looked like a beer can that some one had dropped a 5 lb
> sledgehammer on.
>

> > > There is probably not a single Wal-Mart or K-Mart in the continental US
> > > that doesn't sell "deer whistles" to be mounted on your front bumper.
> > > The theory is a deer will run from the right high pitched whistle as
> > > some vehicles were observed to be hit by deer very rarely, and guessed
> > > this was due to their sound.
> >
> > I am well aware of these devices and their purpose.  I have heard that
> > they do work.  I have racked up about 100,000 miles driving between
> > Minneapolis and Milwaukee, a 750 mile round trip, and have yet to hit a
> > deer. That area of the state has a very heavy deer population.  I don't
> > use whistles.  Maybe I am just luckey or careful and have some knowledge
> > of what to look for when deer are present.  A lot of those miles were
> > driven in the 90 mph range.  Course I also drive race cars, not as much
> > as I use to, which may account for alertness and quick reactions.
> >

> I do not agree. My first wife had one of those things on her car and in the
> 4 years she had the car she must have hit 2 deer a year. The car was
> trashed by the time we got rid of it. It became a standing joke with the
> local police to ask her if she had a permit to hunt deer with her car. ;-)
> My experance is that those devices have no affect weither you hit a deer or
> not. I have known people who had them and never hit a deer and people who
> had them who were getting their limit every season using their car.
>
> My guess is that if you were running between Minneapolis and Milwaukee you
> were taking 90/94 and you were going through the area with the high deer
> population either at night or midday, both times when the deer are resting.

That is route I travel, and have seen many beautiful sunrises and sunsets along
the way.  I have seen deer grazing on the median strips on 90/94 many times.
 So, yes I was on the road during the times that deer were on the move.

Being a former avid deer hunter, I do know their habits quite well.  For
example, I'd hunt the early morning and late afternoon hours, and take the rest
of the day for other things.

Frank