Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:37:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>, Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: empty index.html in /usr/www?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

CL> not sure it is really needed to refer it since libxslt is probably
CL> required by some other package referenced.

libxslt is installed by the /textproc/docproj meta-port.  If people use
this port then there is no need for them to do anything else.  If, as
happened to me some months ago, the installation of the meta-port fails
then people will do one of three things:

1) refer to the Makefile to see what they actually need to install

Obviously if someone knows what they are doing with regards
troubleshooting port installation this is the logical choice.  This does
not apply to everyone.

2) they will refer to the docs which told them to install it

Again, a logical choice.  This is what I did when my installation failed
(some months ago, before XSL was even mentioned) and it worked fine.

3) they will give up

An annoying percentage of people fall into this latter category and
there's actually nothing that can be done about it.

libxslt has been required for website builds since August and is not a
dependency for any of the other required ports.  The people in group 1
will know this and install it when they view the Makefile.  The people in
group 2 will not know this because it is not documented.  Documentation
builds will not be affected but website builds will fail.

Clearly this is not likely to affect a great number of people.  To have
the docproj meta-port fail, to install it according to the docs, and to
want to build the website will hopefully apply to very few people.  That
doesn't change the fact that the documentation is out of date.  Out of
date documentation is only slightly more useful than no documentation at
all.

So that is my view as to why it is indeed necessary to add libxslt to the
FDP primer documentation.  As I said I am willing to write this up and
submit it (once the apparent problem with requiring a certain version of
libxslt is sorted out, of course) if no one else wishes to do this.

Andy
--
Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>