Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 05:33:55 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      groggy@iname.com
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lynx

> > lynx 2.8 differs from 2.7 in some disappointing ways,
> > mainly regarding text handling in <PRE> blocks.
> >
> > 1. <CENTER> no longer works inside or outside of <PRE> blocks.
>
> The ideas are mutually exclusive.  I'll bet you that HTML spec says that
> PRE isn't allowed within CENTER.

which spec?  there's about 5!  it used to be OK with lynx 2.7,
and is just fine and dandy with Netscape and IE.  i don't know
that CENTER and PRE are mutually exclusive.  you may be right
about some spec, but convention and practicality are good
specs too ;)  every text based word processor since 1980
can do it.  btw, i did run my CENTER/PRE stuff thru
several HTML spec verifiers, and they came out A.OK ...

> > 2. spaces are no[w] condensed into a single space, killing all
> >    formatting of text.
>
> I'll have to check the spec on that, but that sounds like a bug.

typo fixed ...

3. <A HREF></A>
   <A HREF></A>
   <A HREF></A>

   links inside PRE blocks now become:

   <A HREF></A><A HREF></A><A HREF></A>

bleh.
this prevented me from using lynx a year ago.
i was surprised to still see it that way.