Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:07:23 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        markd@grizzly.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local nameserver with a part-time ppp connection?

> Does anyone know if its possible to run a local name server with a part-time
> ppp connection to the rest of the world?

Yep, I run a cache-only name server which forwards all queries to my
ISP's name servers.

> Even with sendmail just queuing mail, its still tries to talk to the nameserver
> to verify mail address.  Causing it to wait for the local named to time out
> trying to connect to the internet servers.

Oh right, in that case a cache-only nameserver probably won't help
you.

I used to have a magic incantation in sendmail.cf that stopped it
doing this, but I've lost it now and I don't have the "bat book" here
to look it up - it just involved changing a line under Rule 96 and
moving it slightly further down, as I recall.

Are there any sendmail gurus who can fill in the gap here?

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk