Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:40:37 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1-RELEASE & Windows XP dual-boot issues

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:34:36 +0100, Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
wrote:

> On Monday 30 June 2003 11:36 pm, Scott Reese wrote:
>> into
>> reinstall
>> use
>> able
[grub stuff snipped]

A few comments about the thread so far:

ISTM the easiest thing for you to do is install booteasy on *both* drives.
That should work fine.

I think Jesse Guardini's suggestion works when Win and FreeBSD are on the
same drive.  You can still use the NT/2K/XP bootloader when the OSs are on
different drives, but problem is, I could never figure out exactly what the
FAQ was trying to tell me on that score.  You might take a look at the FAQ
and see if it's clear to you.

Grub is a fine bootloader, but I've heard it doesn't like UFS2 filesystems,
and I've also heard 5.1 uses UFS2 for / as default, causing grub not to
work.  Is your / UFS1 or UFS2?  (Or to ask another way, did you upgrade via
cvsup (resulting in UFS1 root) or install 5.1 from scratch (resulting in
UFS2 root)?  If you can use grub and decide you'd like to do so, the
"rootnoverify" line is no longer necessary with Win2K.

You may want to have a look at GAG, which is freeware, open source,
graphical, and rather automagic.  Worked "out of the box" on my setup,
which involves dual booting Win2K and FreeBSD from a RAID0 array.

Jud