Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:33:57 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Rob <rob3@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: harddisk dying?  / How do I fix superblock on SCSI drive?

On Oct 4, 2004, at 7:37 PM, Rob wrote:
> Your post may be timely for me.  How do you copy an alternate
> superblock on a   SCSI hard drive to replace the main superblock?
> Mine got corrupted.  I did this routine once before on an IDE drive
> and it worked great.  But on SCSI, I understand less of how the drive
> works, so I don't know whether to use fsck or camcontrol or what.

You can feed fsck the -b 32 (or some other superblock) option to clean
the filesystem using an alternate superblock.  If possible, you want to
try to do a SCSI "REASsign Block" command ("reasb") to use any
available spare sectors to replace the bad one.  It's possible that one
of the following might be helpful:

/usr/ports/sysutils/sformat
/usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools

I suggest running a long self-test and checking the SMART status on the
drive.  Modern drives are supposed to reassign bad blocks themselves,
so it is quite possible that your drive has already used up all of its
spare sectors and is going to fail completely very soon.

--
-Chuck