Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:27:20 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: small fonts in new gdm

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 10:52:13PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 21:50, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
> > I just got the new gnome-2.4 up and running. The first thing I
> > noticed is that the fonts in gdm are tiny, unlike in the previous
> > version. I tried setting a different theme but that did not
> > help. Also, the fonts in the logout dialog of a gnome session are
> > also extremely tiny.
> >
> > Is there any way to increase the size of those fonts?
>
> Funny thing is, mine look quite huge on my ATI desktop, and quite
> small on my ATI laptop.  I haven't bothered to track this down, but
> you might be able to affect the fonts with a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 for root.
> I'd be interested in knowing your results.

Well, I tried restarting gdm via the startup script in
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, but that did not help.  I needed to reboot for
another reason and when gdm came back up the theme I had previously set
was now in effect and the fonts were now a normal size.  I do not know
why it did not take effect before. Perhaps a gdm process did not get
killed by 'gdm.sh stop' and was still hanging around.

However, although the fonts looked normal again, the keyboard could not
get focus in the login field and thus I could not login nor switch vtys.
I could select the reboot option with the mouse however.  After playing
around with this a bit, it turns out that gdm2-2.4.4.1_1 can be started
from /etc/ttys (as gdm1 could) and the keyboard focus problem does not
happen.  At least it works here on my -current system.  Starting from
the startup script does not work (keyboard focus problem).

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net