Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 00:00:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

Peter Korsten writes:
 > Knowing Microsoft, I wouldn't invest too much time in devising
 > all kinds of user interfaces based on TCL, Java or Motif, to
 > keep up with them. A GUI still is a good idea (networking, for
 > instance, is scattered over several files in /etc), but I guess
 > it's browsers from now on, brought to us in the usual gentle MS
 > way.

Hey, I release my first web-based interface before they did, let's not
start crediting Bill with designed the WWW as well.  ;^)

If you think about it, having a WWW-driver user interface makes a lot of
sense for those of us pushing "alternative" programming environments.
If we're trying to convince people to put a FreeBSD based server into
their existing Win95 (or Mac, or whatever) environment, what better
configuration vehicle can we give them, than the machine already on
their desktop?

This is not to say this is an easy row to hoe: the iStation user
interface took 3-4 engineers, a full-time web designer, and the skills
of the entire graphic arts deparment at Dayna several months to
complete.  We have a custom server, Java code, JavaScript code, and
hundreds of hours of test time in this, and it's barely started yet!

Still, the idea of configuring your high-flying FreeBSD do-everything
server from Pocket Explorer via IrDA tickles me.  ;^)