Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 00:10:11 -0400
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   qic-80 floppy tape not detected

To all:

Before I start moving cables around, I wonder if anyone has a short
answer for this question:  I configured my kernel aka the instructions
in the FAQ (release 2.2.1) for my ole' iomega qic-80 floppy tape
drive--in fact, I tried several configurations.  No sign that the drive
is or isn't being recognized at bootup.  The same thing (doesn't) happen
with the 2.2.1 boot.flp.  As far as I know, the qic-80 drive is
connected in the usual way to fdc0 via a tee-cable.  It works fine in MS
Windows.  Appended is my kernel configuration file and demsg
output--note that I have only one 3.5 in. floppy, and I have tried
designating the tape drive as both "drive 1" and "drive 2."  For no good
reason, I stripped all unused devices from the config file instead of
just commenting them out--this is really my complete kernel
configuration file, named ALWANKERNEL. Any help would be
appreciated!--didn't see anything quite relevant in the archives.

This is the second time I've posted this message to
questions@freebsd.org--if no one knows the answer, my apologies for the
repost.  It occurs to me, maybe the tape drive isn't detected as a
device at boot-up, or maybe it should be configured as drive 2 on the
fdc0 controller, since I only have one floppy drive.  Trying to mount
the tape drive (mount /dev/ft0 /mnt) gives me a "device not configured"
message.  I've made the device in /dev.

Thanks,

Michael Alwan

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
# Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
# The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
# latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
# <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in
LINT.
#
#       $Id: GENERIC,v 1.77.2.4 1997/02/22 20:31:24 joerg Exp $

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           ALWANKERNEL
maxusers        10

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         KERNFS                  #Kernel filesystem
options         LFS                     #Log filesystem
options         MFS                     #Memory filesystem

options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce
buffers
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG
options         "MD5"

config          kernel  root on wd0

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 flags 0x1
vector f
dintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1
options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

controller      snd0

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options         XSERVER                 # include code for XFree86
options         FAT_CURSOR              # start with block cursor

# Mandatory, don't remove
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device          sio2    at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector
siointr
device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector
siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device          joy0    at isa? port "IO_GAME"

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl      1
# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   speaker

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall.
options         KTRACE          #kernel tracing

Copyright (c) 1992-1996 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights
reserved.

FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Apr 20 01:23:54 EDT 1997
    michael@alwan.rma.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/ALWANKERNEL
CPU: Pentium (119.75-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x526  Stepping=6
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 30539776 (29824K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82439> rev 1 on pci0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 0 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:7:1
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 67 int a irq ?? on pci0:9
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2: disabled, not probed.
sio3: disabled, not probed.
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 flags 0x1 on isa
fdc0: NEC 72065B
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC31600H>
wd0: 1549MB (3173184 sectors), 3148 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5502TA/0206>, removable, intr,
iordis
wcd0: 1033Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable
tray
wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface