Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:03:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails on behalf of config version

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> It is true. Don't run a kernel and world that were not built with
> the same set of source code.

*shrug* OK.  I guess somewhere along the way I picked up that it was
possible by design and intent (and thanks to some serious effort) to
upgrade from sources and install a new kernel without having to upgrade
world.  It's never caused me a problem, and I had assumed that kernel API
changes relevant to userland were documented in UPDATING since I saw some
messages like that there, e.g., 20010814.  It's an awfully useful
convention, since it takes a lot longer to compile world than the kernel,
and if one runs a fairly locked-down site with just a few services
exposed, keeping those services updated as well as the kernel is
operationally simpler than also keeping world updated.  Anyways, it's
completely understandable why this wouldn't be true in current, and also
understandable why right now as large sets of fixes are being MFC'd and
the release is being prepped it wouldn't be true, but in general it'd be
awfully nice to have.  I do wonder why, if one should never build them
separately, they are separate make targets in the upgrade docs?

	Brian