Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:50:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        jegjr@erols.com
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

> FreeBSD.org website, I quote the following, "BSDI will continue to
> distribute packaged versions of FreeBSD...."  Is this another way of saying
> that in the future that the distribution of FreeBSD may take on the Sun model
> for their "free" operating system software, which you pay $$$ for the media,
and
> it is not freely downloadable from the net nor freely distributable?

No, it is not another way of saying that.  In fact, in other press
announcements BSDI has been very clear in saying that it will offer
the SAME degree of support that Walnut Creek CDROM did, and that
includes making it available for download.

Heck, if we stopped doing that I can also tell you exactly what would
happen: Someone else would start making ISO images and putting them up
on the net and CheapBYTES, who already sells CDs very cheaply, would
make even more money.

The FreeBSD genie is out of the bottle and has been for over 7 years
now.  Any attempts to put it back in are doomed to failure and
everyone at BSDI knows this very well already.  Do you folks honestly
think I haven't covered this in great detail in our pre-merger
discussions already?

- Jordan