Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:31:26 +1000
From:      "Neeraj Arora" <Neeraj.Arora@ems.rmit.edu.au>
To:        <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, <amr@fccn.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sincronize /etc/passwd and /etc/yp/passwd.master

Please refer to the email below (that I am replying to) before reading =
what I write...

/var/yp/master.passwd is not to be a softlink or symbolic link to =
/etc/master.passwd According the documentation (handbook I think), =
/var/yp/master.passwd is a copy of /etc/master.passwd without the root, =
system and one user who is also the member of group wheel.

One can use amd (automount daemon) to have all users have their home =
directories in /home, while the directories inside /home are themselves =
mounted when needed according to the amd map supplied by nis. On the =
fileserver or the nfs server system, one could have different directories =
for different machines depending on any one or a combination of the =
os/hostname/ipaddress/network/etc. of the mounting machine.

So if the fileserver had /allhomedirs and in that had ./linux, and =
./freebsd and in each of them ./tom ./dick and ./harry; a linux client =
would end up providing /allhomedirs/linux/<user> at /home/<user> while a =
freebsd client would do the same by providing /allhomedirs/freebsd/<user> =
at /home/<user>.

This will allow the entries in the /var/yp/master.passwd and /var/yp/passwd=
 to remain untouched when produced as nis maps for different clients/hosts.=
 Same can be done by mounting the appropriate shell binary from a =
fileserver using amd maps while the path for the shell can still remain =
only /path/shell or /usr/local/bin/bash; for linux clients the /usr/local/w=
hatever is mounted from /allusrlocaldirs/linux/whatever and for freebsd it =
is mounted from /allusrlocaldirs/freebsd/whatever.

One might not need to overwrite any field produced by nis on a client =
machine.

Personally I feel, the less the configuration differences in different =
client machines, the better.

Hope I havent got off the point completely...:-\

Regards,
Neeraj

On Monday 28 April 2003 17:39, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Apr 28), ^Angelo Rodrigues said:

> > > You can selectively override part of a NIS password database entry
> > > by using NIS magic tokens in the local passwd file --- see
> > > passwd(5). For instance, user 'fred' might have home directory
> > > /home/fred in the NIS database, but you can override that in a
> > > client machine to /users/fred by putting:
> > >
> > >     +fred::::::::/users/fred:
> > >
> > > into /etc/master.passwd on the client.  All of the other fields are
> > > inherited from the NIS database.
> >
> > This could be a solution :)
>
> Standardizing the name of the homedir would make your job a lot easier.
> Can you make symlinks in /home so that every user whose homedir is in
> /homeapp can use /home/user also?  Then the user's home is
> "/home/user" no matter what machine he logs into.

But there's still a little problem... As the /var/yp/master.passwd is a=20
softlink to /etc/master.passwd, the server's root user will be the same=20
in the client so, the client won't have any local user. This can cause=20
some series problems when the network is down. The client machine
should have at least some local users to avoid this kind of problem.

Regards,
--=20

=C2ngelo Rodrigues - amr@fccn.pt=20
FCCN - Funda=E7=E3o para a Computa=E7=E3o Cient=EDfica Nacional
Av. Brasil, 101  1700-066 Lisboa - Portugal
Tel: +351 218440100   Fax: +351 218472167