Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:54:51 -0500
From:      Chris Williams <Chris.Williams@third-rail.net>
To:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Have root on vinum, one small problem..

I've set up a server to load an MFS root off of a small slice at the beginning of my disks, and then start vinum and mount my real (vinumed) root slice over top of the MFS root. This allows me to boot off mirrored drives and not have my root go away if the drive I booted from dies. The only real hitch I encountered setting this up was that I had to hack mount(8) to not always treat a root mount as an update -- thus allowing me to overrun an existing root mount.

Things seems to be working quite well, but there is one strange behavior which worries me; whenever I shut down, right after syncing I get a panic:

panic: Vrele: negative ref cnt

I assume this has to do with the fact that the shutdown procedures are not expecting to have to unmount two root slices. So, I have two questions:

1) Would anybody who is already familiar with what's going on here be willing to generate a fix for this? It's kind of annoying since it prevents me from halting without rebooting, and I imagine it's a trivial fix -- I just wouldn't know where in the code to start looking, so it would take me a while.

2) Are there any other negative consequences of mounting over /? There was a very specific line in mount.c to prevent this from being done -- was that just to prevent accidentally doing something stupid, or is there a good reason this is a bad idea?

Thanks for any help..

PS -- if anyone out there needs help duplicating this config, feel free to drop me an e-mail. I couldn't find any documentation of the type of procedure I used, although it was suggested as a possible solution in the vinum "most requested features" list..