Date:      Sat, 07 Aug 2010 02:22:59 -0400
From:      jhell <jhell@dataix.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

On 08/06/2010 17:26, Doug Barton wrote:
>> and force creation of whatever you have on the system already?
> Not sure what this means, can you explain it in more detail?

No matter what the state of a package is I feel deeply that when making
a backup package, that should not fail because of a missing file that
might have been caused by a incorrect pkg-plist or whatever.

Most of the times I have noticed backup package creation fail was caused
by tar(1) or other tools not being able to stat a file or directory.

For instance:
Creating bzip'd tar ball in
'/exports/packages/GraphicsMagick-1.1.15_3,1.tbz'
tar: lib/ImageMagick-6.6.2/modules-Q16/coders/djvu.la: Cannot stat: No
such file or directory
tar: lib/ImageMagick-6.6.2/modules-Q16/coders/djvu.so: Cannot stat: No
such file or directory
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
pkg_create: make_dist: tar command failed with code 256

And this has left the GraphicsMagick package incomplete. I would believe
that portmaster is probably dealing with the same problem.

>> > Configuration option to email the output of upgraded packages and their
>> > pkg-message or a similar option to just log to a file?
> The ability to log actions to a file is already in the dev version in
> svn. You have to specify PM_LOG in your rc file. I want to see how that
> goes first before I consider adding a command line option for it. I
> don't anticipate adding e-mail functionality to portmaster, that sounds
> like something that should be done in a wrapper script, along with
> PM_LOG. (Although, there was a meme from the early days that no Unix app
> is complete until it grows the ability to do e-mail, so you never know ...)

I agree with you on this. Seeing as PM_LOG will be there that makes it
much easier to deal with.

--

 jhell,v