Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:42:37 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Chris Coleman <ccoleman@oreilly.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Card Recommendations

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 05:27:30PM -0500, Chris Coleman wrote:
> Can people here recommend a good PCCard Ethernet card that is both cheap
> and stable.  We want something supported and reliable that is
> inexpensive to sell on the BSD mall.

I've never had any trouble with my 3Com 3CCE589ET (It just works with
not configuration at all on my HP Omnibook 4150), but I think there are
probably better options in terms of price.

> We are trying to make it easy to find good BSD supported hardware.
>
> A good Wireless card recommendation would be welcome as well.

Currently the only reasionable choice is the Lucent Orinoco (aka
WaveLAN) gold card because 128-bit crypto is the only way to go and only
the Lucent driver supports crypto at all.  I'm writing this one my
laptop with one of those in it using 128-bit crypto to a Cisco Aironet
Access Point.  Beware that the PCI card's don't currently work due to
interupt routing issues.  Warner knows what the issues are, but hasn't
had time to actually solve the problems.

I'm currently working with my Cisco rep to try and get docs to add
crypto support to the Cisco Aironet 340 Series driver and once that
is done, I suspect I will be recommending it over the Lucent card.
It's definatly got better Windows software and it's got features which
make it a substantialy better card in the enterprise like write only
WEP keys.  Unfortunaly, you couldn't buy them even if the drivers were
good because they currently have a 2+ month lead time even for a top
tier federal account. :(

In short, the Lucent WaveLAN Gold card is the only choice today.

You'll also want to consider access points.  I've used the Lucent ones a
little and I have 5 Cisco ones at work.  I really didn't like the Lucent
ones though they do have some nice features.  Their configuration
sucked.  The Cisco ones have a serial interface I haven't used and a
pretty nice web interface.  Cisco also makes a home version of their
access point which is cheaper.  I don't know much about it though I
think I know someone who has one.  It compets directly with the Apple
Airport.  The airport is supposed to be good, but could use the Apple
config program.  Maybe someone could get the OS X people to build a
FreeBSD binary. ;-)

-- Brooks