Date:      Sun, 12 May 2013 01:44:22 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        grillo <grillo@goldnet.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compatibility SCO

grillo wrote:
> I need use Microsoft Cobol Compiler and runtime developed for
> Xenix/Unix system V SCO using NETBSD or FreeBSD, it is possible? have
> binary compatibility ? environment compatibility ?
> thank you

A long time since I looked at this, but as no one else answered yet,
hints to look for, & maybe somebody'll correct it & post more useful info ;-)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html

& kernel options
options "IBCS2" /* SCO a.out emulation */
options SYSVSHM # SYSV-style shared memory /*for X11R6 */
options SYSVMSG # SYSV-style message queues
options SYSVSEM # SYSV-style semaphores

I recall when I last did cross OS work way back I needed a
raft of include files & libs & custom or special version of ar etc.
Which brings up questions of Copyright, depending what you'r doing
(I'm not asking, your business & decision, I don't want to know about SCO !).

The newer way might be to run SCO inside a virtual environment
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-host.html

BTW If you're doomed to run SCO, get hold of a SCO Skunkware CD,
issued by SCO, free) full of FSF & PD etc tools to make raw SCO
less annoying.

You should search this archive:
& probably susbscribe & ask there.

IMO you'll probably have better luck with FreeBSD than NetBSD for this,
(not will certainly, just probably at my guess, for this topic ;-)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".