Date:      Sat, 23 May 2015 11:08:24 -0600
From:      jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Users <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Replacing cpu

I have an HP laptop with
AMD Turion II X2 mobile processor RM-72 / 2.1 GHz CPU, Socket S1.
It is now causing blue screens in windows, and freezes
  fbsd, pclinuxos, knoppix, fedora live.

I have run the x86 mem test for more than a day, and
found no problems with the 4GB ram (2GB X 2).

I am wondering why the memtest does not freeze????
could it be that only one core is causing the problem?

At any rate I wanted to replace it with
AMD Turion II Ultra M660 TMM660DBO23GQ 2.7GHz Dual-Core Mobile CPU
Processor, Socket S1

Will I be running into any problems?
Would the heat be an issue?

These are the full technical data on it:

General information

Type     CPU / Microprocessor <http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/CPU.html>;
Market segment     Mobile
Family     AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile
<http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/TYPE-Turion%20II%20Ultra%20Dual-Core%20Mobile.html>;

Model number     *M660
<http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Turion%20II%20Ultra%20Dual-Core%20Mobile%20M660%20-%20TMM660DBO23GQ.html>*

CPU part number

  * *TMM660DBO23GQ* is an OEM/tray microprocessor

Stepping code     NAEIC AE
<http://www.cpu-world.com/step_codes/N/NAEIC%20AE.html>;
*Frequency*    *2700 MHz*
*Bus speed*     *One 1800 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link (3.6 GT/s)*
*Clock multiplier*     *13.5*
Package     638-pin lidless organic micro Pin Grid Array (UOL638)
*Socket*     *Socket S1 (S1g3)*
Architecture / Microarchitecture

Microarchitecture     K10
Platform     Tigris
Processor core     Caspian
Core stepping    DA-C2
CPUID     100F62
Manufacturing process     0.045 micron silicon-on-insulator (SOI)
technology
*Data width*     *64 bit*
*The number of cores*     *2*
*The number of threads*     *2*
Floating Point Unit     Integrated, 128-bit wide
Level 1 cache size    2 x 64 KB 2-way set associative instruction caches
2 x 64 KB 2-way set associative data caches
*Level 2 cache size*    *2 x 1 MB 16-way set associative caches*
*Level 3 cache size* *None*
Multiprocessing     Uniprocessor
Features

  * MMX instructions
  * Extensions to MMX
  * 3DNow! technology
  * Extensions to 3DNow!
  * SSE / Streaming SIMD Extensions
  * SSE2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
  * SSE3 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
  * SSE4a
  * AMD64 / AMD 64-bit technology
  * EVP / Enhanced Virus Protection
  * AMD-V / AMD Virtualization technology

Low power features     PowerNow! 2.0
Integrated peripherals / components

Integrated graphics     None
Memory controller     The number of controllers: 1
Memory channels: 2
Channel width (bits): 64
Supported memory: DDR2-800
Maximum memory bandwidth (GB/s): 12.8
Other peripherals     HyperTransport technology 3.0
Electrical / Thermal parameters

*Thermal Design Power*     *35 Watt*