Date:      23 Feb 2003 17:07:58 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unexpected failure configuring libgnomecanvas (building gnome2)

--=-yskQN9VsRoAtizIC7FO1

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 16:57, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Gang,
>=20
> I'm a bit surprised by the failure because I installed gnome2 on
> friday on another machine. Given the success I nuked all ports
> on this machine and started from scratch. There's just one thing
> that's non-standard about this machine and that's XFree86. I cannot
> use the port because that version doesn't support my hardware.
> Instead, I built and installed XFree86 from the official sources.
> Other than that, everything is "normal".

And there in lies the problem.  The CVS version of X overwrites Xft and
fontconfig, and installs their .pc files in the wrong location.  We
don't support CVS X at this time, but you might get things to work by
_reinstalling_ x11-fonts/fontconfig, x11-fonts/Xft, and print/freetype2
over-top X 4.2.99.x.

[snip]

> checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
> checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
> checking for catalogs to be installed...  am ar az be bg ca da de el es e=
t fi fr he hi hu it ja ko lv mk mn ms nl nn no pl pt pt_BR ro ru sk sl sv t=
a tr uk vi wa zh_CN zh_TW
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for gtk+-2.0 >=3D 2.0.3 libart-2.0 >=3D 2.3.8 pango >=3D 1.0.1 p=
angoft2 >=3D 1.0.1... gnome-config: not found
> gnome-config: not found
> Package pangoft2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pangoft2.pc'
> No package 'pangoft2' found
>=20
> configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >=3D 2.0.3 libart-2.0 >=
=3D 2.3.8 pango >=3D 1.0.1 pangoft2 >=3D 1.0.1) not met; consider adjusting=
 the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonsta=
ndard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
> =3D=3D=3D>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>       Please report the problem to gnome@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and att=
ach
>       the
>       "/usr/obj/usr/ports/graphics/libgnomecanvas/work/libgnomecanvas-2.2=
.0.1/config.log"
>       including the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it =
might
>       be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on =
your
>       system (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
> *** Error code 1

This is most likely caused by the lack of xft.pc and fontconfig.pc in
/usr/X11R6/libdata/pkgconfig.  Doing what I suggested above may help you
out.  You will have to rebuild pango after doing this.  Good luck.

Joe

--=20

--=-yskQN9VsRoAtizIC7FO1

--=-yskQN9VsRoAtizIC7FO1--