Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:33:05 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building a porters handbook

-doc, -ports

[ FU to -doc ]

Per an earlier discussion on -doc, I'd like to pull section 4.4 of the
Handbook ("Making a port yourself") out of the Handbook and in to a
new "Porter's Handbook".

It's believed that most readers of the Handbook won't be creating ports,
so this section is 60 or so pages they'll not need.  In the Handbook it
can be replaced with "If you would like to learn more about the ports
systems, or would like to create a port and submit it to the project,
please see the _Porter's Handbook_".

I'll do this mechanically (so the translators won't have much work to do).

In the future, I expect that some of the port's specific stuff in the
"Committer's Guide" (damn, should've called it the "Committer's Handbook")
can migrate here as well, as can any nitty-gritty ports details that
you might have thought to be inappropriate for the Handbook.

Any objections?