Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:54:00 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Mixtim <mixtim@mixtim.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: encrypted swap

--iFRdW5/EC4oqxDHL

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 10:18:30PM -0400, Mixtim wrote:

> > Remember, anybody who can read swap on the live machine must have root
> > access, in which case they can read /dev/kmem, in which case,
> > encrypting swap won't protect you.
>=20
> They can remove your hard drive and stick it into a machine where they
> do have root. So yes, encrypted swap does protect you.

I'm not denying the usefulness or lack thereof of encrypted swap, but
you need to consider carefully exactly what your threat model is.  For
example, if your attacker has physical access to the HD, they can
insert backdoor code into the OS stored on the HD to obtain full
kernel privileges no matter whether encrypted swap is enabled or not.
It's important to define the intended goals of your security policy
and then make sure they are actually achieved by the available
security features.

Kris

--iFRdW5/EC4oqxDHL

--iFRdW5/EC4oqxDHL--