Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:17:08 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>, Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>, hsw@email.generalresources.com, hsw@acm.org, abial@nask.pl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /boot/loader what to set rootdev to?

> >> Ever heard of .pif files? Go check out how Full Throttle works, for example.
> > Ummm.  Rebooting into DOS is *not* the same problem as booting into
> > FreeBSD, though you seem to be under the mistaken impression that it
> > is.  If you don't believe me, just try constructing a PIF file for
> > fbsdboot.exe and launch the procedure from your desktop.  You will not
> > shut down gracefully to DOS and be presented with a freebsd login
> > prompt a few minutes later, as you would hope and expect.  The kinds
> > of things you need to do in order to properly shut down Windows and
> > launch the FreeBSD kernel are simply different.
>
> Jordan, we've been over this before.  Did you ever actually *try* what
> the rest of the list said?

Yes, we have been over this before.  Would you care to explain how you
plan to reinstate the vectors that the DOS7 kernel replaces so that
vm86 BIOS calls from the FreeBSD kernel will work?

Please understand that there are some really fundamental issues which
absolutely preclude starting FreeBSD once DOS has been started.