Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:42:42 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Brian Handy wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:
>
> >I have built packages with Asami-san's new build method.
>
> Hmm, I just went surfing this and a couple of mine don't work.  One in
> particular is asapm, which doesn't actually surprise me since it's a
> laptop applet.  However, I'm surprised at the failure mode:
>
> ===>  Building for asapm-2.3
> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/X11R6/include   -c apm_react.c
> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/X11R6/include   -c apm_rc.c
> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/X11R6/include   -c apm_read.c
> apm_read.c:24: machine/apm_bios.h: No such file or directory
>
> I surfed the CVS tree a bit, and of course...there's no apm_bios.h file in
> the Alpha tree, so maybe I'm not so surprised.  Is that because there's no
> apm stuff for the Alpha?
>
> I don't see any hope for fixing this.  (A cursory browse of the OpenBSD
> Alpha source tree confirmed they don't have this file either.)  I don't
> know if there's been some sort of BROKEN_ALPHA flag invented yet, but this
> port is a strong candidate for that if it becomes the case.

IMHO there should also be the NO_ALPHA (in general, NO_XXXX) which means
that the port is not applicapble to XXXX. After all, it is probable that
in some time there will be some ports specific to alpha, in which case
they would be marked NO_I386.

The difference would be that BROKEN_XXXX would mean that the port is
broken and needs fixing, while NO_XXXX would mean that it is not
apllicable.

IMHO it is a useful difference.

> Happy trails,
>
> Brian

	Sander,
		this should probably be in -arch

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.