Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:53:48 +0200 (EET)
From:      Olli Jarvinen <oltaja00@otol.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which FBSD version to choose?

Hi all.

Yes, another newbie here with his newbie questions!

I installed FreeBSD 3.4R on my small old hard disk, to see what
it's like. I'm going to install some version of it on my primary
hard disk in near future. But which version to pick?
(My box serves as a desktop machine at home.)

In the newbies page it says, "look for the latest mainsteam release",
referring to 3.4R. Why not a newer one? Or is this piece of
information out of date? I've been considering 4.1.1 or 4.2.

According to the Release usage per day page, 4.1R and 4.0R are
more popular than 4.2R. Even as early version as 3.2R has
a considerable amount of downloads. Why aren't people just
downloading the newest version? What's the catch here?

About the files at the ftp sites... are the RELEASEs being bugfixed,
or only the STABLEs?

Thanks.

Olli=20

(by the way, why are the installing files called 'images'?)

--=20
        Olli J=E4rvinen        mail:  oltaja00@otol.fi
  "There is the easy way, and there is the right way."