Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:41:51 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Heads up, a bit:  ephemeral port range changes

At 1:07 AM -0600 4/4/02, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > Chances are pretty good that they would not notice any such
>>  problems until after they have done the "installworld" step,
>>  and thus it is not necessarily a simple matter to "just go
>>  back" to their previous kernel.
>
>Sure it is.  After an installkernel you always have kernel.old
>sitting around.

And that kernel may not match the installworld they just did. I
think you're assuming that everyone who is following stable is
installing a new snapshot every week, and but that is not true.
Some people upgrade once a month, or every two months.  With
them, there is a lot more happening when they upgrade than just
this one single change.

Note that I'm not commenting on your change, so much as commenting
on the casual claim that people can just "revert to an old kernel".
That is not always an option after the person does the installworld
which matches the new kernel.