Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:42:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk (James Mansion)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> Be realistic - it might load your app, but it continues to provide
> services to the app (and the various device drivers).
>
> It is not 'just a loader'.
>
> Its an OS.
>
> A nasty one.

Heh.

> > o       Resource tracking
> >         o       Memory (the big one)
> >         o       Open file handles
> >         o       Anything not hung off the PSP
>
> Show me a definition (other than YOURS that makes this a requirement.

Will you accept Tannebaum as a reference, or is that too prejudicial?  8-).

> > o       Memory protection
>
> Hmm - maybe we should call Apple's system 'MacLoader' then.

Good idea.  I second the motion. Opposition?

Motion passes.  8-).

> > o       System reentrancy (there is a single BIOS call stack for
> >         most BIOS calls, which is why they are not available to
> >         TSR's that don't supply their own system stack)
>
> Again, show me a justification why this is a requirement.

You said that DOS provides services to the app after it loads it.
I would say that DOS does not provide servies to the app, it becomes
part of the app.  Whether you can unglue it enough to unload the
app or not is a valid question with a large number of DOS programs.
FBSDBOOT.EXE for instance... 8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org