Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 07:39:12 -0400
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        "Thomas Krause \(Webmatic\)" <tk@webmatic.de>
Subject:   Re: apache2 tuning

Sean Chittenden (Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:37:41AM -0700) wrote:
> > I want to build a new webserver (dual xeon with 4 GB RAM).  The
> > server provides mostly dynamic php-pages. In the ports Makefile
> > there are compile option like WITH_THREADS and WITH_MPM (which
> > includes WITH_THREADS). These are useful options for a production
> > machine? Also, is it useful to compile the kernel with
> > ACCEPT_FILTER_DATA and ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP? And if yes, is apache
> > compiled with accept filter by default?
>
> Having the accept filters turned on in the kernel is a huge win for
> Apache.  See the tuning(7) man page for other details of interest.  As
> for which MPM, last I heard UNIX folk were better off using the
> pre-fork MPM and not the threaded MPM.  This may have changed, but I'd
> bet dime to dollar you'll get better stability out of the pre-fork but
> a smaller memory footprint out of the threaded MPM.  -sc

	Turning on the Accept Filters is not the only thing you need to
	do.  You will have to explicitly choose the type of accept
	filter for Apache.  Last time I checked, it uses 'dataready',
	i.e. ACCEPT_FILTER_DATA by default.  ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP does a
	really good job with Apache and thttpd for that matter.

	Cheers!

	  -- Hiten