Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:51:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, danj@3skel.com, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, toor@dyson.iquest.net, brett@lariat.org, mike@smith.net.au, dshanes@personalogic.com
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD - the user's piece of the action.

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

<snipping sounds.>

The sounds of battle looming remind me of Henry V and the St. Crispin
speech. You know... paraphrasing "...they who don't stand with us
this day will hold their manhood cheap." Henry speaking just before
Agincourt.

> > Perhaps a core team of volunteers modeled on the way the core
> > development team operates will be just as effective in getting our job
> > done as you are doing yours.  Just as you are the leader of the core
> > team our leader will arise from ongoing dialog and compilation of ideas
> > that eventually jell into the business plan that I suggested, and our
>
> I've no problem with that idea at all.  Moreover, I think that the
> FreeBSD project has always strongly endorsed the concept of a
> "management hierarchy", possibly more out of enlightened laziness than
> anything else, since any reasonably effective hierarchy enables one to
> not have to worry about a large number of things.  I'd like to not
> have to worry so much about grass-roots publicity and such, yes. :-)
>
> However, getting people genuinely willing to "manage" is harder than
> it looks.  Being willing to lead implies a long-term committment
> and that scares a lot of people off.

I'll volunteer. It isn't as though I have time on my hands but I do
know how to pioneer a product. And, I do know the value of a longbow.
(evil grin)

If you have questions, contact me, please.

John