Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 05:49:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WebAdmin

> There are of course still authentication issues which must be dealt with on
> every request.  SSL or similar would be required in order to safeguard
> passwords.  Storing the IP associated with requests helps to avoid hijack,
> but is open to spoofing attacks from anyone able to intercept packets
> containing the session ID.

SSL can not be in by default because of ITAR restrictions.  BSD crypto
is done outside the US, mostly so that non-American programmers become
better at crypto than American programmers so foreign powers can conduct
espionage with impunity because we can't break their crypto.  Er, I
mean so that we can keep these dangerous munitions from falling into
the wrong hands, since an evildoer would never violate US export
regulations in the course of engaging in terrorist activity, because
terrorists have a social conscience.  Er, because we are stupid.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.