Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:43:56 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preach it (was Some recent changes to GENERIC)

In message <199607120824.RAA01082@al.imforei.apana.org.au>, Peter Childs writes
:
>Terry Lambert wrote...
>
>: I believe that when faced with the task of promoting change, there
>: are two choices: evolutionary and revolutionary.  Microsoft and
>: Novell have done the evolutionary, and we are far from satisfied
>: with their results.  It is time to try the revolutionary.
>
> If you have some spare time many of us would be interested in
> some visionary ideas...  new ways of looking at things and others
> visions can flavor others developments (perhaps for the better!)

I agree, how about this for a revolution:

I have this idea about putting tcl in the kernel.  I can imagine some
rather interesting possibilities this would give us.

Imagine all the "policies" we have, they could be boot-time configurable.

When we run out of vm for instance, If we had tcl in the
kernel the sysad could do something like:

proc out_of_vm {} {
	foreach p in [procs] {
		if {[proc argv0 $p] == "emacs"} {
			proc kill -6 $p
		}
	}
}

I'm almost kidding :-)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.