Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:03:50 GMT
From:      r.yeardley@dial.pipex.com (Richard Yeardley)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp locking up

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:36:32 CAT-200, it was written:

>I have a FreeBSD 2.2.2 system installed as a dial-on-demand gateway
>for mail (using sendmail) and internet browsing (using squid
>as a proxy) between my Novell LAN and my ISP.  I don't know much
>about the system, as it was installed by my ISP and we mostly treat
>it as an "appliance", although I did program on a SCO Unix system
>more than 6 years ago.
>
>Most of the time it works fine, but some days the modem connection
>just locks up -- if I telnet from my Win95 machine to the FreeBSD
>box, and try to ping my ISP, there is no response.  Also, the
>line should drop after 2 or 3 minutes of inactivity, but something is
>keeping the line open, because it will stay in this "locked up" state
>for half-an-hour or more.
>
>Sometimes, going to the box and pulling the phone line out of the
>wall and re-inserting it will fix the problem (the line drops, it
>re-dials, presumably gets a cleaner connection, and life gets back to
>normal).  Other times, this gets another couple of minutes of life
>if we're luck, and then it locks up again.
>
>Presumably, these problems are related to line noise and poor line
>quality, but a couple of questions come to mind:
>
>1) Is there a way to force ppp to drop the line, without me having to
>walk across the room to unplug the phone line?  ("reboot" works, but
>I was hoping for a more subtle method)
>
>2) Why does the line stay open when there is no throughput?
>
>3) Could this problem be related to an old release of FreeBSD?
>Should I get my ISP to install a more up-to-date release of
>either ppp or FreeBSD?  I know this is an old release, but other than
>this problem it mostly "ain't broke, so why fix it"?  If I should
>install a later release, which one?
>
>Thanks,
>Andre

I have the same problem on 3.0-RELEASE.  It doesn't happen very often
but it's a pain when it does.  I kill the ppp process and unplug the
modem->phone cable for a minute or so.  After re-starting ppp all's
well.  I've no idea what causes it, neither have I a cure for it.
It's just one of those things I guess.

Rich

FBSD3.0 : AMD PR75 : 32MB RAM : 335MD HD : V90 modem : NE2000 NIC
apache 1.3.4+PHP3 : named : qpopper: socks5 : ipfw : mysql : samba