Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 11:31:18 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chris H <portmaster@bsdforge.com>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>,  Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Subject:   Re: Linux ports tutorial? WPS Office

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello;
>

> On 13/12/2017 21:11, Chris H wrote:

>>> the

>>> i386

>>> The handbook has no information about "USE_LINUX_RPM=3Dyes".
>>> If I set that it appears the ports framework will ignore MASTER_SITES.
>>>
>>> Should I dig into the MK framework to see how to change the repository
>>> or should I use the .tar.xz distribution instead? :(.
>>>
>> I'm not sure. But would having a look at the way
>> emulators/linux_base-c(6|7)
>> provide some clues?
>>

> Not really but I think I found something in Mk/Uses/linux.mk:
>
> For the case of USE_LINUX_RPM it is supposed to not do anything when
> MASTER_SITES is defined but it is somewhat messy, and somehow it always
> uses ${MASTER_SITE_CENTOS_LINUX}. Any port that uses RPM but not the Cent=
os
> repositories?
>
> Just a thought, and hope it helps!
>>
>> Thanks, I just have to keep digging :(.
>
> Pedro.

The linux packaging is okay but I'd recommend learning how the porting
process and not just wrapping up a linux binary in FreeBSD.

The main reason for that is you can port your way into a corner that relies
on very Linux specific stuff that there's just no solution for yet nor will
there be one unless you port the entire Linux kernel to FreeBSD.

If you go look at the source files and read the building and or install
docs they'll give you a list of dependencies.

Once you have that list dependencies, see if they are available in FreeBSD,
if they are GREAT a lot of work has already been done.

If not, start trying to port those dependencies to FreeBSD, once you have
the full list of dependencies needed, writing a FreeBSD makefile is
relatively trivial process.

That would be my recommended route.

Best