Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:17:36 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        "'Haikal Saadh'" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD software [was Re: The Bazaar part II]

"Person, Roderick" wrote:

>>       Take a look at the packages collection, these are prebuilt binaries
>> based on the ports collection.

> Ok, maybe I'm just not clear enough. I know about the ports collections. I
> use it religiously. But, there has to be apps for freeBSD that exist outside
> of the ports collections. My favorite mail app from Linux doesn't exist
> anywhere on a FreeBSD, not in the ports not in the packages. But, the Home
> page of the apps suggested that it has be compile against FreeBSD. So, I
> download the source and compiled it for FBSD. I'm just suggesting a FreeBSD
> centric site that includes such apps that aren't found anywhere on
> FreeBSD.org in a binary and source package - not necessarily a FreeBSD
> package, maybe just a binary tar.
>
> I think were arguing for the same thing but with different formats.

	Ok I think I see what you are talking about.  Would it be safe to sum
up what you are describing as : something similar to freshmeat.net
with a focus on FreeBSD apps?

	That being said you may want to check out :

http://www.bsdapps.org

	I'm not sure how much is there.  It takes work to come up with all
this stuff :-)

	If you are interested in something like a freshmeat.net for BSD then
I would either talk to the bsdapps.org folks and help them by
volunteering some time/effort or come up with a design/proposal for a
new site.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu