Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 1999 13:53:07 +0400
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32+ signals and library versions

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > I suggest to try to avoid the version bump. NetBSD-like way to do it:
> > Give new implementations another names in object files, so that they
> > don't conflict with old implementations, and preserve old
> > implementations in the library too. To make the compiler generate calls
> > to new implementations, one can add appropriate #define s in .h files.
> > For GCC, __asm__ attribute also can be used.
>
> That still is an interface change and thus needs a version bump. How else
> do I know wich version x library has the new implementations (besides the
> larger one :-)?

No, when new functions are added into the library, and binaries linked
with the old library will continue to work with new library, version bump
is not required.

This is a standard rule. It was also recently discussed on -committers
on Aug 20 in the thread
Re: cvs commit: src/include histedit.h src/lib/libedit Makefile editline.3 el.c el.h

>  How else
> do I know wich version x library has the new implementations (besides the
> larger one :-)?

Linker knows it. If some function ("new implementation") is missing, linker print
an error message. This is all you need.

Dima